2/17/09

Summer-born children 'more likely to struggle at school'


Children born in the summer struggle for years at school as they are put at a "clear and long-term disadvantage in the education system", according to a major review.

It comes amid debate over the best way to educate summer-born children.

They are more likely to play truant and even commit suicide when they grow up after falling behind older classmates.

Pupils with birthdays in June, July and August are also less likely to succeed in sport and become professional athletes.

There are no words to express my thoughts on this.  I am struck dumb.


Full article: The Telegraph

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's interesting. I have a running debate with my 15-year old, who has a late September birthday and is one of the youngest kids in his Sophomore class. He's an honor-roll student but thinks he got a raw deal in sports because he should be a Freshman. While he was a starter on the JV football team, he didn't make the JV basketball squad. If I had known he was going to be a good athlete, I might have held him back a year at the start of Kindergarten, but there's not much I can do about it now. Now this doesn't compare with the issues a younger student might face academically or socially, it does suggest there are real issues regarding birth date and the start of the school year.